Originally Posted By: mulberry
Originally Posted By: Tonytough
Originally Posted By: mulberry
Originally Posted By: Tonytough
John Gotti. After the Mcbratney hit, everyone paid 'homage to him' as Sal Polisi put it. Truth was, he wasn't even the trigger man

Second has to be Chin Gigante. His failed hit on Frank turned him into a mob superstar. Especially the trial and media coverage

Nobody claimed those two were notorious hitmen. Plus you assume those were the only times they resorted to violence

It doesn't matter what anyone claims, or whether U agree or disagree they were notorious hitmen. Truth was both Gotti and chin took on mob contracts thus they are "mob hit men". They weren't no Big Paulie.

And i think you've confused yourself, I NEVER implied they only did one hit each, you assumed I did.

I was merely pointing out that these were the hits or rather attempted hits that gained them
Immense notoriety early on and even later on in their criminal careers.

The question asks about overrated. Nowhere are Gotti or Gigante rated as top hitmen, so how can they be overrated? That's like saying a third string benchwarmer on a football team is the most overrated player. Try some reading comprehension

No where are gotti and chin rated as too hitman?

Well according to crazy sal Polishi everyone "paid homage" to gotti after his hit on Jimmy mcbratney. He was sent by non other than don Carlo himself.

sammy the bull said gotti was known for doing many hits personally

So I think it's safe to safe Gotti was a top hitman back in his days that Paul or Neil went to when a piece of work needed doing

Just because he doesn't appear on any magical "greatest hitman of all time list' u seem to think exists on the internet, doesn't mean he wasn't a heavy hitter, he was!

I'll take crazy sal and Sammy's word over yours any day

And in regards to this thread, Gotti was overrated for the Irish hit simply because he wasn't the trigger man but people nonetheless feared him because of it seeing that was a very public hit and in the papers.

Whereas hits he did behind closed doors, not many people knew about it seeing they weren't there and nobody's writing about it

As for chin, same story. Everyone feared him for daring to take on a big job as Costello. Again not saying he didn't do other hits, he did

But this hit was also all over the news media. Therefore as a hitman he was very overrated for this bungled hit but people got the message

If he dared kill Costello, he'd kill anyone so all I'm saying is for a botched hit he was extremely overrated by the general public and other wise guys plus connected guys etc