Originally Posted By: Faithful1
I don't think it's really fair to say that Roemer had a crush on Accardo. There was a small group of Outfit mobsters who were disrespectful to FBI agents, like Giancana, DeStefano and Spilotro. There was another group that showed them respect, and that group included Ricca, Accardo, English, Nicoletti, etc. Naturally they are going to form a more favorable opinion of the mobsters who were friendly and respectful in how they spoke with them. This wasn't just Roemer's opinion, but the other agents who worked in Chicago like Ralph Hill and Vincent Inserra. They considered Ricca, Accardo, etc more reasonable, easier to deal with. It didn't mean the FBI wouldn't go after the friendlier group, but it did mean they'd really go after the group that acted like street thugs.

The other thing about Accardo was that he was the only person who could rein in Giancana or anyone else. No one else had the power and authority to do that but Ricca, but Ricca tended to be either less available or he was in prison or avoiding deportation for part of the period Roemer was out there.

Great post. While I don't know a whole lot about Chicago in general and I'm learning more on here, but I agree that when there is a general respect from both sides it seems the feds are less likely to go full bore at them like they did say Gotti or Spilotro. The feds knew with Spilotro that he would either end up dead or in jail with them getting him indicted and out of Vegas. He was supposed to be low key just like Momo was supposed to be low key until he went nuts and either Ricca or Accardo (or both) shipped him to Mexico then of course he ended up dead for what he done.

Like it or not Ricca and Accardo both extended great power and influence over EVERYONE in the Outfit and those that challenged them ended up dead.