Originally Posted By: baldo
I don't know why...to me this whole Pizza Connection/Zip era is the most fascinating time in modern OC. It seems like you had these guys coming over by the boatload and just taking over the family then having a hand in killing the guy that brought them over (Galante).

As soon as I saw the subject of this thread, I expected that somebody would mention that. With all due respect Baldo, I strongly disagree with you. I´ve been butting heads with posters on here about this before. And I´m still convinced that Galante did not bring over anybody. Here´s a passage from Lee Lamothe´s and Adrian Humphrey´s The Sixth Family (page 85): "The influx of the Sicilian gangsters is often seen, from the American perspective, as an initiative on the part of Galante, who is said to have "imported" the zips to do his heavy lifting. Evidence now suggests, however, that the zips in fact perpetrated a quiet invasion. They were sent from Sicily, rather than called for by America. It is a significant distinction." Like I said in the post above, it looks like the zips were sent over to the US by the Sicilians. This so that they could establish an American market for their drugs.

[Linked Image]