Originally Posted By: baldo
Is it true he was murdered because he wouldn't allow drug dealing on Knickerbocker? I imagine some higher ups had to approve his murder (such as Rusty or Galante). If the bosses were ok with drug dealing why not just tell him to allow it rather than kill him? Unless he was killed for some other reason. What's also interesting is that his son John continued to work with the Zips in drug dealing after his dad was murdered by them. Anyone know if his son is still active today?

According to Luigi Ronsisvalle, yes Licata was killed because he didn´t allow his crew into the drug trade. One has to wonder though if the higher ups really approved it. We don´t know. Licata´s crew were itching to get into the trade. Most of them were transplanted Sicilians with strong ties to Sicilian drug lords. One of them, Giuseppe Baldinucci was actually a boss in Sicily. I wouldn´t be surprised if these were sent over by the drug lords in order to establish a market in the US for their heroin. If that´s the case, Licata was considered an obstacle to their objectives.

I don´t know if Licata´s son John is still active. But he is still alive. Pete Licata also had a nephew, Joseph who was also heavily involved with the crew. This Joseph was killed in 1982. But just like in the case of his uncle, his murder is unsolved.

[Linked Image]