Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Check this out Revis:

The average daily inmate population of New York City Department of Correction (NYCD) is approximately 11,400 individuals. This is more than the population of many state correctional systems.

Most of the inmates in NYCD custody are housed on Rikers Island, which has 10 jails that together can house as many as 15,000 inmates at once. The Rikers facilities include a jail for sentenced males, another for sentenced and detainee females, and a detention center for adolescent males (ages 16 to 18). The seven other jails on the Island house adult male detainees. Other Island features include a bakery, central laundry, tailor shop, print shop, maintenance and transportation divisions, K-9 unit and a power plant.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doc/html/about/facilities-overview.shtml

Thanks. I saw an hbo documentary on rikers island before. I used to know of this kid I forgot his name, but he went to rikers. I think he must've been in there for a while because it was a drug charge. He was from jersey city but it obviously wasn't out of the ordinary for jersey city people to take a 2 second trip and go a couple of miles or so over to NYC to see family, friends or do other things etc. I used to myself when I was a kid before I moved down here when I was about 16 and my dad used to go over there a lot growing up. This kid was the reason why I asked whether or not people arrested in jersey were put in rikers or not. Sometime back in the early 90s he was arrested for possession of crack and put in rikers. He was a crack addict from what my aunt had told me. Maybe he was arrested in New York City though idk I'm not sure.

Last edited by Revis_Island; 09/08/14 11:48 AM.