GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 759 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,616
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,539
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,465
Posts1,061,372
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: AnthonyScarfo] #855835
08/13/15 05:41 PM
08/13/15 05:41 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Yep. Post on my phone, son of a bitch!

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: helenwheels] #855847
08/13/15 07:03 PM
08/13/15 07:03 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: helenwheels
My parents divorced when I was a kid and for years my dad lived in the city on 12th between 5th and 6th, while we were in Brooklyn so we had the best of all worlds NY-wise. It was a different city and what's happened to it is depressing.

I had it somewhat similar childhood. I grew up in Belmont (187th and Hoffman). But my Dad was from East Harlem, and when they died, my grandparents were among the last Italian immigrants left in the neighborhood. They lived on Pleasant Avenue, just off 118th. They lived until the late '80s, so I spent thirty years going back and forth. My Dad's going on 86 and he's still on the Giglio at Mount Carmel, so we're still there a few times a year. But forget about that neighborhood altogether today.

Then there was my favorite uncle who owned a building on Baxter Street, directly opposite the back entrance of Most Precious Blood, and another building on West 8th Street, which I currently co-own. So you can see my close affiliation with the Downtown area, and how much the changes have saddened me. I've spent almost 56 years in and out of these neighborhoods. It breaks my heart.

Then there was my uncle in East New York on Pacific Street. We spent one Sunday a month there. I loved it there. But even back then in the '60s and '70s, East New York was already starting to change. You see, on my Dad's side, there were eleven brothers and sisters on his Dad's side, and they immigrated one or two at a time, so they ended up all over the place. My Mom's side pretty much just settled in the Bronx.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: AnthonyScarfo] #855855
08/13/15 07:30 PM
08/13/15 07:30 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
How many Italians you got left in throggs neck, PB? apologize if you've answered this before.

Drove by the new trunp links in the bronx. Anyone play there? Looks nice.

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: padrone] #855858
08/13/15 07:36 PM
08/13/15 07:36 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: padrone
Dante, that place is right off fulton and nassau. It was operated by Big John, not sure if it still is he just went away for a couple of years and got out recently. My dad had a bar around the corner on Ann Street and would send me there to get a laugh. The bartenders would wear bikinis or skimpy outfits and I would be like 12. Before it was the nassau it was called Kenos. That was a great neighborhood, it sure has changed a ton

Big John still owns it.......he comes around

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: padrone] #855860
08/13/15 07:40 PM
08/13/15 07:40 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: padrone
Dante, that place is right off fulton and nassau. It was operated by Big John, not sure if it still is he just went away for a couple of years and got out recently. My dad had a bar around the corner on Ann Street and would send me there to get a laugh. The bartenders would wear bikinis or skimpy outfits and I would be like 12. Before it was the nassau it was called Kenos. That was a great neighborhood, it sure has changed a ton

Its still a bikini bar with GREAT barmaids and amazing prices. It is a dump and is what is left of what I would imagine "Old New York" to be as I'm only 30, like I said I've been hanging out at it a lot the past 2 years!

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: AnthonyScarfo] #855861
08/13/15 07:41 PM
08/13/15 07:41 PM
Past caring, then hang a left
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
My parents divorced when I was a kid and for years my dad lived in the city on 12th between 5th and 6th, while we were in Brooklyn so we had the best of all worlds NY-wise. It was a different city and what's happened to it is depressing.

I had it somewhat similar childhood. I grew up in Belmont (187th and Hoffman). But my Dad was from East Harlem, and when they died, my grandparents were among the last Italian immigrants left in the neighborhood. They lived on Pleasant Avenue, just off 118th. They lived until the late '80s, so I spent thirty years going back and forth. My Dad's going on 86 and he's still on the Giglio at Mount Carmel, so we're still there a few times a year. But forget about that neighborhood altogether today.

Then there was my favorite uncle who owned a building on Baxter Street, directly opposite the back entrance of Most Precious Blood, and another building on West 8th Street, which I currently co-own. So you can see my close affiliation with the Downtown area, and how much the changes have saddened me. I've spent almost 56 years in and out of these neighborhoods. It breaks my heart.

Then there was my uncle in East New York on Pacific Street. We spent one Sunday a month there. I loved it there. But even back then in the '60s and '70s, East New York was already starting to change. You see, on my Dad's side, there were eleven brothers and sisters on his Dad's side, and they immigrated one or two at a time, so they ended up all over the place. My Mom's side pretty much just settled in the Bronx.

How does a nice Bronx boy like yourself end up a Mets fan? It must have been the source of much schoolyard strife when you were a kid smile

Dyker Heights, where I was born and raised is even changing now. Lots of Asians. Still many Italians, but definitely changing.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: pizzaboy] #855862
08/13/15 07:45 PM
08/13/15 07:45 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Fidi is becoming a popular destination for 20 somethings that wabt to stay in Manhattan. Cheaper rents.

Yeah, 2k for a studio instead of $2500. Let them stay wherever the fuck they were born. You have no idea how many blue-collar people have been driven out of Lower Manhattan. No idea whatsoever. But that's probably because you don't understand what it means to be blue collar anyway.

I'm not being deliberately mean, Mighty. You know I like you. A lot. But Lower Manhattan used to be as blue collar as some of the nicer parts of the Old Bronx. And you have no idea how much it annoys a true New Yorker to see this shit happen. No idea at all.

And I'm in real estate. Buildings that I fucking OWN with my family, and one of them is half a block from Washington Square Park. So if I feel this way, can you imagine how these poor families felt about getting chased from their own neighborhoods, where they've lived for generations, by a bunch of midwesterners and suburbanites who think they deserve a New York City birthright because they're gay or call themselves hipsters?

It's just a very sore point with me. It's nothing personal. Like I said, I like you a lot.

Pizza, you know I'm a New Jerseyan that works in Midtown Manhattan, but A LOT of the old timers I talk to that OWNED their places sold them and made a fortune and thats what was the catalyst to spring generations of their families out to the suburbs of Jersey, Staten Island, Connecticut, Westchester, Etc

Last edited by DanteMoltisanti; 08/13/15 07:45 PM.
Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: AnthonyScarfo] #855865
08/13/15 07:49 PM
08/13/15 07:49 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
^^ in some areas yes, that's true, but that's less likely for people in alphabet city or the LES. These were mostly rental areas, walk up tenements, pretty low income.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: helenwheels] #855866
08/13/15 07:51 PM
08/13/15 07:51 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
How does a nice Bronx boy like yourself end up a Mets fan? It must have been the source of much schoolyard strife when you were a kid smile

That's okay, I've had to explain that here a few times before. As I said, my Dad was from Harlem, where the Polo Grounds were located and the Giants played. They pulled out on him and headed west when he was close to thirty years old. He resented them for a long time for the move (although he was happy when they won three of the last five World Series because Bonds was gone and he hated him).

Anyway, like a lot of Dodgers fans (who suffered the same experience), in '62 he adopted the Mets. And he instilled it into me. And to ne honest, there are more Mets fans in the Bronx than you might think. I mean, it's probably no more than 15%, but we're here.

And I live five minutes from both the Throggs Neck and Whitestone Bridges. I can honestly make it to Citi Field faster than up to Yankee Stadium. That's why most of that 15% estimate that I mentioned mostly lives around Country Club and Throggs Neck.

But yeah, growing up around Fordham a Mets fan wasn't easy lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: DanteMoltisanti] #855867
08/13/15 07:54 PM
08/13/15 07:54 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: DanteMoltisanti
Pizza, you know I'm a New Jerseyan that works in Midtown Manhattan, but A LOT of the old timers I talk to that OWNED their places sold them and made a fortune and thats what was the catalyst to spring generations of their families out to the suburbs of Jersey, Staten Island, Connecticut, Westchester, Etc

Those were the owners Dante, who were few and far between. The renters were the heart and soul of the old Italian-American and Jewish neighborhoods Downtown, and they got fucked beyond all get out.

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: helenwheels] #855869
08/13/15 07:57 PM
08/13/15 07:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
^^ in some areas yes, that's true, but that's less likely for people in alphabet city or the LES. These were mostly rental areas, walk up tenements, pretty low income.

Pretty much what I just posted above.

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: AnthonyScarfo] #855871
08/13/15 07:58 PM
08/13/15 07:58 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
I know for a fact that back in Jersey, my neck of the woods, that ALL of the Italians in Hoboken sold their places and made hundreds of thousands or millions (depending on how late they held on) and still hold onto the neighborhood via having police and firefighter jobs in Hoboken making over 120K a year, now this is Hoboken and I know all of this as fact.

Pizza, you know I like you and hold onto you in the highest regard, so I was asking if this was the case downtown as well? Now I know the cops and firefighters aren't paid what they get paid in Jersey, but it seems a lot of families sold and made millions or hundreds of thousands downtown that moved their families out to the suburbs for generations as well?

PS you never answered my question if you've ever hung out at the Nassau Bar before (great Mets bar BTW) LOL???

Last edited by DanteMoltisanti; 08/13/15 08:01 PM.
Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: pizzaboy] #855872
08/13/15 07:59 PM
08/13/15 07:59 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss

That's okay, I've had to explain that here a few times before. As I said, my Dad was from Harlem, where the Polo Grounds were located and the Giants played. They pulled out on him and headed west when he was close to thirty years old. He resented them for a long time for the move (although he was happy when they won three of the last five World Series because Bonds was gone and he hated him).

Anyway, like a lot of Dodgers fans (who suffered the same experience), in '62 he adopted the Mets. And he instilled it into me. And to ne honest, there are more Mets fans in the Bronx than you might think. I mean, it's probably no more than 15%, but we're here.

But yeah, growing up around Fordham a Mets fan wasn't easy lol.

Aw, he sounds just like my grandfather. He and my grandma followed that same path in baseball teams. So much so that when my grandmother died one of her floral arrangements was the Mets logo. You know guineas and our funeral flowers smile

Pretty much what I just posted above.

Great minds etc smile

Last edited by helenwheels; 08/13/15 08:01 PM.

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: DanteMoltisanti] #855874
08/13/15 08:12 PM
08/13/15 08:12 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Pizza, you know I like you and hold onto you in the highest regard, so I was asking if this was the case downtown as well? Now I know the cops and firefighters aren't paid what they get paid in Jersey, but it seems a lot of families sold and made millions or hundreds of thousands downtown that moved their families out to the suburbs for generations as well?

Not really. Like Helen and I both said, the heart and soul were the renters. And NYC fireman earn comparable money with overtime, but it's still impossible for them to afford Manhattan. One of my many gripes about gentrification. They can't live where they protect and serve. And that's obscene.

PS you never answered my question if you've ever hung out at the Nassau Bar before (great Mets bar BTW) LOL???

I've been there a few times. And like Padrone, I remember when it was Keno's. Different neighborhood now, though.

And I like you, too, Dante. You're a nice, respectful kid. And don't be insulted by kid. Anyone young enough to be my son will always be a kid to me smile.

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: pizzaboy] #855875
08/13/15 08:18 PM
08/13/15 08:18 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore

Not really. Like Helen and I both said, the heart and soul were the renters. And NYC fireman earn comparable money with overtime, but it's still impossible for them to afford Manhattan. One of my many gripes about gentrification. They can't live where they protect and serve. And that's obscene.

I've been there a few times. And like Padrone, I remember when it was Keno's. Different neighborhood now, though.

And I like you, too, Dante. You're a nice, respectful kid. And don't be insulted by kid. Anyone young enough to be my son will always be a kid to me smile.

Pizza, I have the utmost respect for you, that being said its nice to know that today and the past couple of years I have been sucking back suds in the same place that a young pizzaboy once did wink

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: AnthonyScarfo] #855876
08/13/15 08:20 PM
08/13/15 08:20 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
and dont get me started on how much they pay cops and firefighters here in Jersey, Its UNBELIEVABLE. I wish I knew when I was choosing careers that I could become a cop in Jersey and make 120K-150K a year and then retire at 43 with an 80K a year pension...Madone!

Re: Last "italian neighborhoods" in NYC [Re: AnthonyScarfo] #855909
08/13/15 10:42 PM
08/13/15 10:42 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
That can't be everyone, Dante, that's way more than the avg cop in CT...

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull