Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Belmont
Seems like everyone here wants to go back to the 1950's and have their grandparents living downstairs and their cousins next door, the social club on the corner, the italian bakery across the street, ect.

Except for the people who actually lived through it. Like me, and just a few others here. No one---I repeat, no one---who grew up in a tenement neighborhood wants the same for their kids.

The only people who make these kinds of posts---and I'm not judging here, I'm just pointing out the truth---are kids who feel like they were "born too late," so they tend to look at the world through the eyes of a revisionist.

Originally Posted By: Belmont
Everyone wants to grow up like Colegero or whatever his name was in a Bronx Tale. Lol

And this is spot-fucking-on. I'm six or seven years younger than Chazz Palminteri, but I grew up a whole three blocks away from him. He grew up on 187th, right off Cambreleng. I grew up on 187th and Hoffman.

If you ever run into him, ask him if he wants to move back there today, even if the neighborhood was still Italian (which it most certainly isn't). He'll laugh at you and tell you that he's quite content on his farm up in Bedford.

I was once having a drink with a younger hood looking kind of guy in a bar in Brooklyn in the 90s and he said "Everyone romanticisez this place. It's a sh## hole."