Originally Posted By: NickyEyes1
Would you New York guys consider Queens a "suburban" area similar to Staten Island or is it more similar to The Bronx and Brooklyn?

Howard Beach seems to be one of the few strongholds left, something like 50% Italian.

Anyone mention Dyker Heights?

Dyker Heights is still largely Italian.

Queens is hard to classify as suburban. the western part features the largest housing project in the nation (queensbridge), lefrak city, and the third busiest intersection in the city (Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue, which resembles Beijing, except with more people).

East Flushing, Fresh Meadows and Bayside is where the suburbs start, and where I am from. The zoning laws were restrictive there and large complexes couldn't be built. Bayside and Whitestone look like Levitown or Hicksville. Astoria and Corona look like any Brooklyn neighborhood.

In the southern part by JFK are some middle class black neighborhoods, like Laurelton and Springfield Gardens.

Then there is the super Ghetto of South Jamaica (where 50Cent is from). Every time I need to get off the train there I am constantly looking over my shoulder. It's where the shower posse killed that cop while he was eating lunch in his patrol car.

Queens is too big to classify.