Nothing stays the same....ever

Not to hijack the thread to Florida but I grew up in Hollywood. It was loaded with Italians from NY, NJ, PA etc. Back in 1970's there were at least five or six families on every block. My grandparents owned both houses on either side of us, across the street was an old guy from Italy named Rocky. there were at least five or six Italian specialty shops (and Hollywood is relatively small).

Miramar Fl was at least 50% or more Italian back in the 70's. My Wife went to Miramar high and every other kid has an Italian last name in her yearbook. They used to have a San Gennaro Feast in Miramar for years.

Now both Hollywood and ESPECIALLY Miramar are Jamaican, Haitian, and West Indian dominant.

You can tell when you drive though there. The houses are painted orange, pastel green and purple.....and the cut down all the trees.

Its all over. The best you can do is to try and teach a little of the culture (Italian) to your kids.

Sal

I knew I forgot something- The "San Gennaro" that they used to have every year in Miramar is now "The Caribbean Festival"....nice, huh?

Last edited by salvi62; 09/07/14 07:26 PM.