Originally Posted By: olivant
Too soon? I don't see or hear that at all. I think you're really looking for something that isn't there.

Also TB, I don't know why some Board members persist with this Neri competition with anyone. There's nothing in the films to support it. He was chosen by Michael from day one to be his closest family member and he remained so sans competition.

Yes and no. Michael never had anyone's position in cement. When he went to Cuba he left Tom in charge, not Neri because at that time he needed Tom's temperament and brains to keep Kay under control, and to run things on an even keel. Neri could not have filled that role. This elevation of Tom gave Neri the incentive to try even harder to re establish himself, at least in his own worldview. He got the goods on Tom's job offers and mistress, and he was more than content to allow Rocco to volunteer for the suicide mission. By the time of III, neri was the only one left, and he was stragely unambitious. He fell right into line when Vincent became the new Don, and he followed the order to go to Rome and shoot the Archbishop.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."