Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Very nice Gary. That was just 6 months before his death. I saw him in 75. I can't remember what I paid for tickets. Do you know what you paid?

FWIW, I do have from way back in 60s a Christmas card I got from Graceland. Still have that saved. smile

smile

TIS

Yes, I paid either 12 or 15 dollars for each ticket. You could only buy 5 so, my wife and I were allowed a total of 10. We stood in line from 9:00 pm until 5:00 am. There were lines over a mile long outside the civic center. Once in the building we were directed to different sections and called down to the floor to make thje final purchase. I believe we left the building around 8 am. As soon as I exited the building people were waiting to offer anywhere from 100-200 dollars for a ticket. It was an experience I'll never forget. But well worth all the trouble.

I gave family members some tickets and also three high school kids, one of whom was confined to a wheelchair. They were all big Elvis fans.

Elvis had appeared at Freedom Hall a year earlier in March of 1976. I remember very well the excitement that surrounded the entire tricities area ( Kingsport, Bristol and JohnsonCity). Local television stations actually interrupted programming to announce that Elvis was "coming to the tricities." I left work and tried to get info on ticket sales, but no one was saying anything. I believe it was the next day when ticket sales procedures were announced. It was pandemonium in this area ! Everybody wanted to get a ticket to see Elvis. On his first visit to upper east Tn, Elvis stayed at the Holiday Inn in Bristol. It wasn't long before word got out and the entire area around the Holiday Inn was swamped with fans. Police could do little to help because of the large number of people. It was really something to see all the people trying to get a glimpse of the "King."

The demand for tickets was so great that two additional concerts were announced. So Elvis performed three concerts at Freedom Hall in Johnson City in 1976. Needless to say all three performances were sell-outs. Freedom Hall has a capacity of about 7000-8000. I believe there was more than 10,000 at each performance. I actually saw two people in hospital beds with iv's in attendance. I was told that an ambulance brought them to the concert.

When Elvis returned in 1977 he flew in and out. He performed Feb. 20 in Charlotte ( I believe it was Charlotte).

He was showing signs of health problems at the 1977 concert. He really needed intervention. The show was good and of course a sell-out, but Elvis needed rest and help.

I saw him again in May '77 at the old Stokley Athletic Center in Knoxville, Tn. Once again, a good show but he was really suffering. An attendant told me where he would exit the building, so I left a little early hoping to get a close-up view of Elvis. I did and his entourage was literally carrying him with two men on both sides helping him walk and get in his limousine. Really, really sad.

I wish someone could have convinced Elvis to take time off and "get clean." The drugs had really taken a toll on his body. So sad.

The greatest entertainer ever. Just watch this closing vamp when he finishes his last song and Charlie Hodge puts the scarf around his neck and Elvis put down the microphone. Watch the famous "stage walk." Charisma in action !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfa09l_qfbI&sns=em

Last edited by GaryMartin; 08/21/14 06:23 PM.