Originally Posted By: Belette
I see that the consensus is that the culture is dead. This is good news for Americans. I would challenge a little bit though the lack of brotherhood and their values. I can't imagine working with a guy for years and decades without feeling something for him. I think the reason that mob still exists is only because the culture isn't completely dead, I'm sure there are people who still feel ok in it. I imagine they'd all walk off if it was as dead as everyone says it is.

As I posted in an earlier thread, my gf is Corsican and I hope they and Italy will soon discover the RICO. I hope they lose the organization, but hopefully not the culture and spirit. There's a lot of good in that.

Italy doesn't need RICO (they already have an equivalent; modified, as several provisions of RICO would undermine the civil rights laid out by the Italian constitution) The issue in Italy isn't the legislation it's the widespread corruption that prevents the laws being effectively utilized. Really what Italy needs is a way to hold its public servants accountable to the people... Actually most everywhere needs more laws like that.

it's a slippery slope, though, when you start deciding that certain people re not entitled to certain rights because they belong to "X" or "Y" group.

Or do you simply take that right away from everyone? Does the need to prosecute a tiny minority of criminals outweight the need for rights of the law abiding many?

I think this is a question many Americans will be asking themselves soon as well. Perhaps not specifically about RICO, but certainly the need for law enforcement and other public servants to be held accountable for their actions.

Last edited by slumpy; 08/21/14 10:27 AM.