Originally Posted By: goombah
While I was never a huge fan of Williams as a comedian, I always respected his enormous level of talent. When I watched him do standup, he was too hyper for my own taste. But to see this ending for such an extraordinarily talented person is terrible.

A lot of the comedians seem to battle depression (Chris Farley, Phil Hartman come to mind). It's hard to fathom that what the rest of the world would perceive as "succesful," the performer still has doubts about his/her ability. I read that Williams was upset about the cancellation of a TV show and poor reception of a recent movie. I know everybody has his/her own breaking point, but with all cumulative success and at that age, one would think that failures could be put into proper context.

Exactly how I feel, Goom. I never really went in for his frenzied brand of comedy, but he was a wonderful dramatic actor. And like I said earlier, I became a big fan when I read about all he did for Christopher Reeve's children.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.