Originally Posted By: domwoods74
While u make some good points Lou , to say there over is very wide of the mark . There r still 11 viable families and the Genovese , gambino and lucchese families r stronger than ever

I wouldn't go that far, Dom.

I mean, I get what you're saying: That they're not done yet. And I agree, they're not done yet. Like I said, I think they'll hang around for another generation or so in their present form because of the adjustments they've made in the past decade---namely less violence, very few murders, plea bargains, and a lower profile. And these adjustments should allow them to keep the status quo for awhile. But to say they're stronger than ever is just too much of a stretch.

There was literally a time where the Five Families could bring one of the biggest cities in the world (New York) to a screeching halt with labor slowdowns. And they're just not that powerful anymore. And sure, they still have a lot of the building and construction trades. But the days of shutting down the biggest construction site in the city, or an entire port, with just a phone call are gone for good.

Long story short: If they're content to keep the status quo, and they're crazy if they're not, then they'll be around for quite awhile. But it will never be the same.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.