Originally Posted By: bigboy
From what my old friends in Buffalo tell me, the Sabres owner Pegula is a class act and has made improvements to the city itself.
Most Buffalonians hope that he wins the bidding war, Donald Trump has now said it is unlikely that he will win the bidding because he only buys at the "Right" price - meaning cheap. Bon Jovi now says he is committed to keeping them in Buffalo but no one believes him. He has way too many Toronto businessmen backing him. Also why move an American then to another country. This is nuts. It's all about the $$$$$. And on a side note, Andre Reed was inducted into the NFL Hall off Fame last night.

I wonder if there were overtures on Toronto, if the Canadian government would fight to protect Canadian Football, considering Toronto is probably the flagship franchise of the CFL. This is not without precedence -- when the train wreck World Football League formed in the mid-1970s, they placed a franchise in Toronto (which poached three players from the Super Bowl Champion Miami Dolphins). The Canadian government stepped in, and threatened to ban any American football team from the country with the Canadian Football Act. It never passed, but it was enough to force the WFL franchise to Memphis.