I can understand some issues being a matter of interpretation or opinion such as who would be the better wife, Appollonia or Kay; or who would be the better Don, Sonny or Michael; or the ever famous question, did Fredo need to be killed. tongue

But as far as Fredo knowing or not knowing he was gonna be killed, I think we need to take a step back and rememeber our first viewing of the movie. I agree with the others that Fredo did not have a clue.

The Hail Mary thing was simply a prayer to catch fish, that's it. Heck, I remember my parents saying, say a Hail Mary that the weather is good for the picnic tomorrow, or I'd say one to get a decent grade on a test. Granted, perhaps not the most unselfish reason to pray, but I think we all tend to "pray" for little insignificant things. ohwell

If Fredo was so brave to accept his death, why did he run like hell in Cuba when Mike was telling him to get in the car with him??? He surely must have thought then his fate was sealed. He was petrified that he would get killed. Human nature makes us resist death.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon