Originally posted by Don'tForgetTheCannolis:

the reasons I believe Fredo knew it was going to be a hit. Who left the drapes open? I believe it was Fredo.
I agree. Hagen's line in the un-used script about Fredo believing it was going to be a kidnapping makes sense to me, even if it asn't in the actual film
Also I believe Fredo was mis-led by Roth but in a different way. I feel Roth mis-led him in believing what would happen after Michael was killed. I think Fredo was under the impression that he and Roth would be on the basis of say Roth and Vito in the old days.
Fredo's exact words were "You lied to me". Since the hit was unsucessful, he would have no way of knowing whether he was lied to or not about a future relationship between him and Roth. What he was lied to about was what the goal of the plot was.
I think that the shooters themselves were given the grounds of the estate by Fredo himself. I think there was pre-arrainged meeting point that they were suppose to go. When they got there though they were murdered not escaping which was probably the plan.
If you mean that Fredo gave them a map of the grounds, which showed them an access and egress points, sure. But again, if Fredo didn't know it was gonna be a hit, which I think his comment to Johnny Ola proves, then it could not have been part of the plan for him to kill the hitmen.

I mean, if you were Roth, as smart as he was, would you have trusted the bumbling and stupid Fredo to murder two professional assasins?

So, for me, that brings us back to the question of who did kill the hitmen?

Something else just occured to me as well:
If it wasn't Fredo, and Fredo didn't know it was gonna be a hit, that means there had to be someone else in on the plot, on the inside, working independently of Fredo.

Trying to figure out the answer to this one is always fun, but I go back to my original statement. It's just a giant hole in the plot.

"Difficult....not impossible"