Originally Posted By: Italianheritage
How did people who took bets for numbers games as a side job (or in other words a source of income but obviously not their official source to the public or in records like tax forms, a census, etc.) get picked, and how did the mob know they could be trusted?
The oldest way in the world. You know somebody.
Since taking numbers bets is basically punishable by a fine or MAYBE probation,being a summary or misdemeanor in most jurisdictions,there is no detailed vetting process involved. For example,my uncle ran a small/mid level numbers writing operation. My Dad,my Aunt,and me all took bets from friends and neighbors. If a friend of mine worked at a large factory,I might see if he would be interested in taking co-workers action. If he did,I would collect his slips and money (minus his 25 percent),and turn them in as an addition to my play.When he had winners,I would deliver the cash to him to make the payout.
What you have to remember is that numbers is a business that generates a huge profit margin,much of which goes to politicians,judges, and Law Enforcement. No one has a vested financial interest in shutting it down. Other than a few token, publicity seeking busts,the average numbers writer faces less punishment than parking in a Handicap spot without a permit.

Once in the early 80's, the cops raided our house and seized my Dad's phones(4 of them)and tally sheets which indicated an average weekly handle of around $11,000 dollars.(this was not my dad's income,but rather the total bets that he took and turned in to my uncle). The cops gave my Dad a paper that told him when to come to the Police Station to get pictures and prints.He wound up getting a $750 fine (summary offense),which my uncle paid. My uncle also kicked $2500 to the State cop that led the raid, in return for him "losing" most of the tally sheets,thereby keeping below the level that would attract IRS attention.

Interesting sideline. The raid was made by a combined task force consisting of Pittsburgh City and PA State Police. The reason that the gambling task forces in those days didn't include the Allegheny County Police was that the County Police Superintendent
was a guy named Carl Alberts.His brother,"Inky" Alberts was a major numbers guy in the city. "Inky" was famous for accumulating over $300,000 in fines which went unpaid for years without any repurcussions.
As my Uncle used to say,"what a world".