It really depends in which area you are going to work. The traffic in SE Michigan can be pretty bad. And construction is worse. If you have a tolerance for a 2 hr round trip commute your choices can expand quite a bit.

Generally Macomb County is less expensive to live in than Oakland county. Wayne County (not counting Detroit) is likely about the same/little less cost levels as Macomb County. Detroit obviously costs a lot less than everywhere around but isn't safe absent a few enclaves.

Southgate is downriver. It's an ok (i.e. cheap and relatively safe) place for a young person who is just starting out. Royal Oak and Ferndale are similar if a tad more expensive and built up. Royal Oak has a bit more night life and from what people have told me is probably the closest thing this area would have to Greenwich Village/Soho. I dunno.

Hamtramck has the largest local concentration of Polish-American citizens/culture though it's actually been declining over the past few decades as more people from South Asia, East Asia and the Middle East have moved in.
Westland is ok but quite blah in my opinion.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.