I just graduated college about a month ago and received my first job offer from a business consulting firm here in Washington D.C. to to staff a position in Detroit.

My parents when they learned I was planning on moving to MI, specifically to the Detroit Metropolitan Area. Despite the fact that I have been looking at living in the suburbs which seem not that different from places like Fairfax VA, Montgomery County MD or Bergen County NJ.

Anyways can anyone recommend any areas of the DMA to seriously look at and which to avoid?

Just wondering how are the following areas in terms of affordability, crime & safety and quality of life overall? Westland, Southgate, Southfield, Warren, and Royal Oak(not the township)and Ferndale? Are these places regarded as good areas to live?

Also just wondering are there still any ethnic Irish working class neighborhoods still in the DMA? Or failing that Italian, Polish, or Greek ones etc.? I ask because I know that other Rustbelt cities like NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago and Milwaukee still have these types of neighborhoods in some places.

Also jw since this is an OC discussion forum is there any LCN still active in Detroit? From my understanding their presence been in sharp decline over the past 20 years like the Mob elsewhere in the Midwest. If so is there any social clubs or other venues in the region where they hang out?

Detriot seems to have alot of LCN History. Can anyone recommend any LCN historic sites to visit? I was planning on visiting the house where Jimmy Hoffa disappeared in Bloomfield Township if I get the chance to do so.

Thank you in advance for any advice I get in regards to my question(s).

Last edited by MrWilliams; 06/07/14 11:58 PM.