image url.
Shane Rossiter
A jury in a murder trial has heard that the accused told gardai he would ‘do 15 to 20 years knowing that it is over’ when referring to the death of Shane Rossiter in 2012.

Maurice Power (31) of Dranganbeg, Kilmoyler, Cahir has pleaded not guilty to murdering Shane Rossiter (29) in Co. Tipperary on October 17 more than one year ago.

The court heard that the accused told gardai in interview that he had ‘decided to keep him (Mr Rossiter) close’ and that he ‘didn’t want to show the fear’.

When asked if any effort could have been made to repair the relationship, the accused said ‘this was going on years. I should be dead five times over’.

Questioned as to whether he had come face to face with Shane Rossiter before he died, the accused said ‘I didn’t disguise my face. I was wearing a hood.’

Asked whether or not the accused regretted anything he replied ‘no. I didn’t want to be looking over my shoulder. I would either do 15 to 20 years knowing that it is over and feeling the way that I did.’

‘I spent my whole life arguing and now its done. The way it is he is dead, people can get on with their lives.’

Under cross examination by Mr Dominic McGinn SC defending, Detective Garda Adrian Cooke rejected the suggestion that the accused was made to tell gardai what he told them.

Detective Cooke confirmed that he was involved in five separate interviews with the accused and accompanied him on a number of cigarette breaks.

“You were involved in 6 breaks where Mr Power was having a cig break,” said Mr McGinn.

“I suggest the reason was to put pressure on Mr Power to make a confession.”

Detective Cooke replied “no” adding “there was no interaction apart from supervising cigarette breaks and interviewing.”

Mr McGinn continued “I suggest this process was a way of making him tell you what he was going to tell you” to which Detective Cooke replied “absolutely not”.

The trial continues before a jury of seven women and five men with Ms Justice Deirdre Murphy presiding.

Last edited by DonMega1888; 05/24/14 04:27 PM.