Originally Posted By: BorderProtector
I'm sorry to ask this question but what makes the mafia so powerful and different from other large American gangs like the Latin Kings, Texas Syndicate or Tangos Blast etc? Is the mafia really the most powerful gangs or other gangs like the Texas Syndicate that have sophisticated structures and deal in drug trafficking and drug sales is equally or more powerful than some mafia families? Or is the Mafia's past is somewhat clouding or misleading the actual power of the Mafia in 2014. I know the mafia is not organization but a plural name for Italian-American sophisticated gangs and sophisticated structure. But I have to ask,how much money the largest family is making a year(Genovese)?

Sorry for my ignorance but I simply don't know much about the mob but I simply can not believe the mob is as powerful as it's potrayed. I like to think that there are some gangs that make much more money than the mob like American drug organizations like the Black Mafia family.

Borderprotector, Welcome to the boards.

It's really difficult to say, while the Mafia does not possess the power they once had in this country, they are still established and feared in NY, NJ, IL, and PA. In terms of just dollars and cents I would say that one of the Mexican or Columbian Cartels is making more cash than the Genovese's and that Cartel wields more political power back in their home country were corruption is much worse that here if you can believe that. It kind of hard to say because none of these groups are filing tax returns or profit statements. wink

If your a Border Agent thank you for your service.