I think the truth of the god issue really matters very little in practical terms. Philosophers have been discussing it since the very beginning, with limited progress.

The point I think matters is whether this country is better or worse off for having belief in god and transcendent, objective moral laws. I think its a hard case to make that we would be a better country with the moral nihilism necessary in atheism (and no i dont think sam harris makes a compelling argument for secular morality) compared to some sort of core belief in redemption. You especially need to consider the fact most of the folks on this board are smart people that will lead their lives well probably regardless. I don't know if the same can be said for the average Joe when faced with his cosmic meaninglessness. The atheists relying on the power of reason rather draistically overestimate man's ability in that respect.

This is coming from someone who is a lapsed catholic that has strong doubts.

Last edited by LittleNicky; 05/07/14 08:57 AM.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here