Originally Posted By: XDCX
In my research on faith and Christianity, it started becoming more and more obvious to me that it is nothing more than a sham. None of it makes sense when you truly sit down and think about it, and while I considered myself a person of faith for a long time, I've also always been scientifically minded. There were a lot of things regarding my faith that I simply ignored because I followed God blindly. I guess that is the basis of faith anyway, and eventually, after years of studying and research, blind faith just didn't work for me anymore.

And there is another problem I've noticed with just about every atheist. They claim their "research" in religion has led them to discard it. The problem inevitably is, however, they really haven't done much research at all. And what they have done has been woefully inadequate. I don't think I've ever come across an atheist in person, or online, where their ignorance of religion, the scriptures, etc. wasn't apparent the more they tried to justify their position. Unfortunately, some of that does have to be put at the feet of many mainstream Christians today who don't really understand the scriptures themselves and who's ignorance provides many talking points for atheists.

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Not only are you fabricating facts for an argument, but you are fabricating an argument that contradicts your premise. You suggest that a belief in a higher being will most readily surface in times of great peril or crisis when one is less likely to rely on one's rationality, intellect or sense, and that the mysteries of God are revealedin the face of impending demise or a sudden crisis where one's best judgment is clouded by the anxiety of the moment. Moreover, the foxhole bit is just a line. Where some agnostics might suddenly hope for the miracle of everlasting life when his life is suddenly in danger, it doesn't mean he actually would believe it. Don't confuse hope with belief.

There's no contradiction. The natural turning to a higher power happens shortly before or during the time of the crisis. The turning away happens afterward when they've become bitter and hardened their heart. Or when they see the wrongs of the world from afar that they aren't personally involved in.

Another reason I neglected to mention, why people claim not to believe in God, is they don't like the thought of having to answer or be beholden to anyone but themselves. So, by claiming God doesn't exist, they mistakenly believe they and their will is all that matters. And that they can go through life making up their own rules, their own morality, and so on.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.