Originally Posted By: XDCX
But I would like to think that if such a higher power did exist, that I would be deserving of eternal paradise based on my living a morally good and decent life, and that he wouldn't be so petty as to say "You have not worshipped at my feet for quite some time, so buh-bye!"

I agree, in fact I think St.Paul said the most important thing is to live a moral life, even if you are of a different religion or an atheist, if you are a good person you won't be treated like a sinner, since everyone has their own way to reach the Truth.
The problem in my opinion is that some atheists are so horrified by the cruelties of the Old Testament (I am too, to be honest, if it were to be considered by itself), that they dismiss the New Testament and the rest of the Bible with its new morals which contain more humanity. In my opinion conflicts concerning religions often arise even in cases in can be dealt with reasonably and peacefully.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."