Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Few will admit it but the real reasons are inevitably emotional. They are angry, they've been hurt, they see the evil in the world and can't reconcile it with there being a God, etc.

And some people adopt Atheism to help pass themselves off as "intellectual."

While there is absolutely no basis for what Ivy is claiming regarding why people become atheists, PB's theory does prove to be true in some cases. Many atheists believer they are intellectually superior to EVERYBODY, but they're really nothing more than jerks.

As for how I became an atheist? I was a Christian for basically my whole life up until about 7 or 8 years ago (give or take). But like anything I have a keen interest in, I always want to know as much as possible about my interests. I'm a nerd, and I like to research the things that I like and matter to me.

In my research on faith and Christianity, it started becoming more and more obvious to me that it is nothing more than a sham. None of it makes sense when you truly sit down and think about it, and while I considered myself a person of faith for a long time, I've also always been scientifically minded. There were a lot of things regarding my faith that I simply ignored because I followed God blindly. I guess that is the basis of faith anyway, and eventually, after years of studying and research, blind faith just didn't work for me anymore.

For me, it was completely unemotional. I looked at the evidence and I went down the path that made more sense for me. I respect people's right to believe whatever they want. Sometimes I wish I could take that leap of faith and just believe again. But I can't, because I have absolutely no doubt that this life is all there is. I have had a handful of near death experiences since my conversion to atheism, and never once did I jump to thoughts of God or eternal damnation.

Could there be a God? Sure. Could there be an afterlife? Absolutely. But the odds are STRONGLY against it. The simple truth is that it is far more likely that there is no God or afterlife.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Do with it what you will! smile

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis