Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
How did Irish Americans do so well for themselves? They didn't have any criminal organisations looking out for them? Similar profile to the Italians too. Not as privileged as the German or English immigrants. Come to think of it, how did the Jews do so well for themselves also?

The Jews and the Irish were right next to the Italians when OC got started in New York. But all three of these groups had a desire for upward mobility.

They didn't cry about discrimination. They sacrificed to educate their children. And today their grandchildren and great grandchildren are reaping the benefits of that assimilation and upward mobility.

All true,,but we both know that in Boston, several cities in NJ, and NY, and along the eastern seaboard that there are communities of people descended from those SAME immigrants who are part of the working poor, on public assistance, or in criminal system.

The implication of what you wrote is that..Jews,Irish and Italians did things that Blacks didn't or don't do.

It doesn't run on the six o clock news but there are and have been successful African, African American, and Caribbean Americans who have been doing what EVERY other group in this country have done. The old money Black families are mostly down south , are 5-6 generations Fisk and Morehouse grads and made their fortunes in the
jim crow era South that makes the hardships that ethnic white immigrants experienced seem like Disneyland.

The "Didn't cry about discrimination" line is really misinformed...and whether it's clear or not.....the Civil Rights legislation passed benefited all non wasp male Americans as it made it illegal to discriminate based on race, religion, gender.etc.

Look up up the college and commercial opportunities that opened up to ethnic whites as a result of civil rights legislation being passed.

So those people "crying about discrimination" somehow ended up benefitting others.

No beef at all, I've just heard this stance before from people and always make these points. I'm an immigrant myself and have had to challenge White,Black,Latino,etc immigrants when this topic comes up and they say the same things.