Originally Posted By: carmela
Idolizing anyone outside of your own family is pretty retarded and never warranted.

Agreed. This question is not Mafia related, but what about dying for somebody else but for your own family? Is dying for your country (in a war overseas) warranted?

Originally Posted By: NNY78
Hairyknuckles, Great topic!

I think some members of the older Italian generations born in America in the 10's, 20's and 30's see the mafia as a protector of sorts. I have no doubt this was not the case but some folks think that way. The older members of my family that grew up during that time that I have talked to over the years say that the mafia kept the neighborhoods safe and minimized the effects of discrimination against the Italians. Now what they failed to realize or mention was this was their reality because my Grandpa was a Black Hander and they were protected but that most Italians in the neighborhood were victimized by the Mafia back then, if you weren't in the mafia you were exploited by them. The old saying goes you can't graft a new idea onto a closed mind and despite all evidence to the contrary some people believe that the mafia did some good and you know what on the rare occasion way back when I sure they did..... as long as there something in it for them wink

Excellent post and I agree with you. But back in the day, in some cases perhaps, the Italian-Americans only had the Mafia to turn to for help, because they were the ones with the connections. What about today? Does the younger generations of Italian-Americans think that turning to the Mafia is an option?

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 05/04/14 01:05 PM.

[Linked Image]