Originally Posted By: slumpy
Or if Italy suffers a similar fate to Spain and Greece causing a second Italian Diaspora, that may reinvigorate italian communities as migrant Italians settle in areas where other Italians go.

Italy is suffering the same fate of Spain and Greece.

Unemployment among 20-35 year-olds at 38.6%? Hello?

the Italian diaspora never "ended" either, it got its highs and lows, but it never stopped.
Emigration is up 12% since pre-recession times, meaning roughly btw 75-80 thousand italians moving out each year.

This has been discussed countless times around here: italians do not need to come to L'Ammerica to better their lives.
Wether they're crooks, doctors or anything in between.

Legal immigration in the US is a bureaucratic hellhole, why even bother with that if your nationality allows you to move everywhere around your continent and work paperwork-free in much better off nations less than a 4-hour flight away from home?

The recent ISTAT data shows that the top 3 destinations for Italian immigrants are Germany, Switzerland and the UK (yes, you do need a visa for Switzerland but it's not half as complicated as here).
Then the Netherlands, Austria, France followed.

Even Canada ranked higher than the US.

Originally Posted By: slumpy
In Canada, however, I know the Rizzutos made no less than 2 non-Italians -- Thus it could be argued that within the next generation or two, the Montreal factions will begin to face the same issues as their American cohorts.

There's still much speculation about those two guys who (allegedly) got made.
Most think that what happened was an Outfit-like "promotion" for non-Italians.
I seriously doubt than someone so old-schooled like Vito would mess up something so secular and fundamental as the making ceremony.

With this being said, Canada won't face America's assimilation issues in a long time. if ever.

Italian immigration in Canada decreased substantially later compared to down south and these crime families (sicilians and calabrians alike) are still deeply rooted oversea.

Not to mention that Mr. Rico hasn't got up there yet, its absence should boost it too.

my 2 (euro) cents