Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Flushing
I never knew Soundview was Italian.

Patty's clubs were just off Westchester Avenue, Flushing. One on Zerega, another by Castle Hill and Blackrock. And you're not technically wrong about Soundview. It probably hasn't been Italian in your lifetime.

Hell, I'm almost 55 and it hasn't been Italian since I was a kid. But it's funny, even when those neighborhoods changed some of the clubs stayed put because those old timers were such creatures of habit. Westchester Avenue, east of Parkchester, remained a Lucchese and Genovese stronghold for years after the neighborhood turned Puerto Rican.

And you were a postal worker, right? There used to be a club right next door to the post office on Crosby, just off Middletown. But that shouldn't surprise you because that part of Pelham Bay stayed Italian right up until at least the late '90s. Today it's mixed Latino with a few Italian leftovers.

Now that'll be ten bucks for the Bronx geography and history lessons whistle.

Great info. Thanks. When I did Express Mail I was all over those neighborhoods. Pelham, Baychester and even Soundview. In Wakefield around 2000, where a had a route, almost every block had a few Italians - just a few. No kids though, just older folks.