Is it fair to say that the family fell apart because of the lack of experience in the upper echelons - compared to say the Genovese Family?

Amuso was pretty old when he was made boss but still young enough by boss standards; a psychopath too. Other psychopaths like Pitera and De Meo never got near the position of boss while another psychopath Galante ostracized himself from the rest of the Bonanno family and was taken out before he could nail down position as boss.

You compare it to guys with longevity like Gambino, Castellano, Gigante and Massino who stayed in power for so long because they had cooler heads and surrounded themselves with very old and experienced guys.

Getting back to my point - while guys like Avellino, Baratta and D'Arco were in their fifties at their peak, this was still young enough in Mafia terms and Avellino was Corallo's driver and D'Arco was only made not long before he made acting boss.

What I'm saying is that Amuso and Casso did not compliment each other at all - unlike say Castellano and Dellacroce. There was nobody to rein in the other guy when he was losing his head.

Opinions?

Last edited by Moe_Tilden; 04/08/14 03:32 PM.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.