It depends. In a large family such as the Genovese, I would say it is hard to do at a young age until you become old, worn and paid whatever dues you had to for the family, then you can retire at an old age. There is also the force retirement if you are a respected member, and did something to tick off your family or other families, and your death would just cause a war if you have a strong crew or crews behind you.

In small families that are nearly defunct, it is easy to do as there is really no family structure left and you have a legitimate business for income and are or somewhat financially set, you can do this easily.

It would just be hard in New York as that is where most of the membership is. It was easy for Gotti Junior, cause a lot of members in the Gambino crime family where getting sick of the Gotti's, not to mention the other new york families.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green