HairyKnuckles, yes I have Bill Bonannos latest book, it shows Conte was underboss before Scalise, but Conte was acting underboss in 1953 not official underboss. Chirico was Anastasia first Underboss, but had some problems by 1953 to where Conte served as acting underboss for the remainder of 1953 till he retired. Between Conte and Scalise, there were two other acting underbosses starting in 1954, one was a Jimmy the Blond Corrao from Manhattan, and the other was a Frank Galluccio from Brooklyn. By the summer of 56', Scalise was the official underboss of the Gambino's. Anastasia picked Scalise cause he was repected and had a powerful crew in the family based in the Bronx, but also to keep both Genovese and Lucchese at bay. The position of Consigliere was out of Anastasia's hands, though he could demote his Capo's and replace them with men he knew would vote to his liking, but that would have caused a internal war within the family. Conte came back to fill the role of underboss for the family after Scalise was murdered, and Biondo stepped down as Consigliere in the late summer of 57', Gambino was voted to the position of Consigliere sometime around early September of 1957.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green