Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
No, it didn't. That move set the table for the captains on the fence about him to look the other way.

Once the deed was done the captains fell inline mainly through fear of retribution not out of some 'moral' justification.
And what was there to do, you cant dig Paul up again.

I was referring to the sentiment about Castellano BEFORE he allowed Piccolo to be hit. Prior to Piccolo getting whacked, guys like Armone, Gravano and the DeCiccos probably wouldn't have been in favor of hitting him. Piccolo getting hit was just the mistake that Gotti needed to exploit to gain favor with those guys.

Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Forget all that shit about Gene and Angelo. If not for Piccolo getting popped, I doubt Gotti would have gotten the support that he did.

Yes Piccolo getting hit was a bad decision. But in respect to this thread Gotti made 100 more bad decisions a day than Big Paul did in his life. And lets all remember the REAL reason Paul got hit.

Yes, but again, I wasn't commenting on that silly debate about who was a better mob boss. It's old and tired and we've discussed it here a million fucking times. I was merely pointing out that the Piccolo hit took guys like Gravano and Armone and DiBernardo and the DeCicco brothers off the fence about Paul. And without their support, Gotti never could have pulled it off. Or maybe he does pull it off and gets hit himself a week later. By guys like Gravano and Armone and DiBernardo and the DeCicco brothers.

Originally Posted By: domwoods74
The Feds know who we are why should I hide under a stone

Nonsense. There are STILL Westside guys you've never heard of.

Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Ok he got caught on a bug and courted the limelight . He won't be the first or the last . People forget that the reason he. Was in the limelight was because at the time castellano was killed he was on trial for the romuel pichek thing , people wanted to get a look at the new godfather . The media sought hi out and turned him into a public icon

Bull-SHIT. Just because you never heard of John Gotti before 1985 in the friendly confines of the British countryside, doesn't mean he was low key by any stretch of the imagination. He was well known to the Feds even before he got his button, which is really saying something. And he was already making plenty of trips to the Bronx and the other outer boroughs to place bets with bookmakers long before becoming boss. By the summer of '84 he owed phone numbers to Bronx bookmakers in Morris Park. In short, too many people knew who he was even prior to his beef with that Polack Piecyk.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.