Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Is Michael's 'show' of emotion in this scene also down to how immediately and visibly narked he is at being outdone by the resourceful Turnbull? The look he throws Hagen is priceless. My article above had to cater in some way to the un-initiated, and wordcount prevented me from going into such details, but that line -- "Turnbull is a good man" -- is so revealing. Michael's furious that someone is able to get the upper hand on him, to say nothing of being in a position to flaunt it. It's kind of like, when later in the film Kay tells him about the abortion, his outward rationality disappears in an instant and simmering complexes, paranoia and seething self-hatred come out in an explosion of anger; here, we see a glimpse of that: when his opponent (naively, dumbly) shows how cunning he is so early on, Michael's response is to just juggernaut him with take-it-or-leave-it threats.

Compare that scene to the scene in Vito's office where Vito letts Sol know that he is aware of the participation of the Tattaglia family in the drug business. Sol doesn't pause and tell Vito "Hagen's a good man," he merely casts a quick glance at Tom but then says, "Te salute Don Corleone," and moves on.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."