Indicted Mob Associate's Homes, Business Raid By State Police, DA's Office
Posted: Mar 05, 2014 4:04 PM EST
Updated: Mar 06, 2014 6:07 AM EST
By Dave Schratwieser, Reporter - bio | email

SOUTH PHILADELPHIA -
Only FOX 29 News was there as the State Police and investigators from the District Attorney's Office carted away boxes of evidence from American Collision on South 20th Street and several homes in the exclusive Girard Estates section of South Philadelphia.

"They can look through every computer and they can look through every file, all they're going to find is an honest businessman," said Anthony Voci Jr., the attorney for Mob associate Ronald Galati.

The business and the homes are linked to Galati, who is already behind bars in a bizarre murder for hire plot. He and two hitmen allegedly targeted witnesses for death in an on-going Grand Jury probe into a widespread insurance fraud scheme involving the body shop.

"I've been aware that there's an insurance fraud investigation that's been in place for about a year and a half," Voci told FOX 29.

State police, the DA's investigators and the FBI spent hours pouring over records and computers at the body shop, galati's home on South Garnet Street and two other homes on the block belonging to his son, Ron Galati Junior. Voci said the search warrants in the case are sealed and he is awaiting a list of evidence seized at those locations.

Sources say Galati is also the target of an FBI investigation in New Jersey. A Federal Grand Jury in Camden has been hearing testimony and reviewing evidence connected to a second murder for hire plot in Atlantic City last December. The two gunmen are already under arrest. The victim is said to be a witness in that ongoing insurance fraud scheme.

"It is my understanding there's going to be a number of indictments handed down, related to an insurance fraud investigation, but how big that turns out to be I don't know. If that's two or three people or 20 people," Voci explained.

Voci said Galati is anxious to defend himself against the charges.

"We look forward to our day in court, hopefully we're going to have one very soon," Voci added.

Galati is being held without bail on the murder for hire charges here in Philadelphia, but a Superior Court judge may hold a hearing on a bail motion for Galati later this month.

Sources say Galati and more than a dozen others could face a second indictment on insurance fraud from a city Grand Jury. The District Attorney's Office has refused comment on that case.

Galati could also face a federal indictment in the December murder for hire plot in South Jersey. The victim in that case was shot three times, but survived and is now in protective custody.

the District Attorney's Office carted away boxes of evidence from American Collision on South 20th Street and several homes in the exclusive Girard Estates section of South Philadelphia.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort