Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Trout is a good player to sign to a 10-year deal due to his age but can we realistically say that any 10-year deals have worked out? The A-Rod Texas deal was insane for the amount of money and the time it was signed in (I'm sure they could have gotten him for a lot less money) and his last deal with the Yankees is the worse in baseball history. Pujols is looking like he's going to be overtaking that however with his 2 poor years with the Angels and Cano's numbers are going to go way down in SafeCo Field (also he'll be 41 when it expires).

If Trout does get 10 years and it doesn't work out (due to injuries, a decline in his stats, etc) hopefully teams will stop handing out those types of deals because they just don't work out. It's a very long time to guarantee money to any player.

Honestly, I'm surprised Ubaldo Jimenez and Ervin Santana haven't signed yet. I think the hold up is over a team losing a draft pick more than the money. They are good pitchers - not great but not scrubs either.

I really wonder with these teams giving out those really long term contracts. The most a team should give is 7 years, especially for players like A-rod and Pujols who would decline after year 4 or 5 of their deal.