For me, the passing of Pete Seeger brings a special and particular sadness.

I grew up with folk music, particularly the music of The Weavers, the group that Pete was a member of from 1948-1958. My late mother was the "folkie" in the family; in the 1940's, she once told me, she saw The Almanac Singers (Pete Seeger was a member of that group, too). Music was a part of my earliest memories. It fascinated me, especially the unique voices and wonderful instruments that made such an impression on me back in those formative years. Later, in the 1960's, I came to realize that Pete Seeger was far more than "just" a folksinger. His was a voice of conscience. He stood for so much, he believed so strongly, this amazing driving force. And he accomplished so much.

I saw him perform twice: Once back in 1983, at a fundraiser for his Clearwater project, and then just two years ago, at a benefit for another folksinger/activist who was battling cancer. Even at age 92, when he came striding out onto the stage carrying his ever-present banjo, he could command an audience like almost no other. His voice had weakened with age, but the spark was still there. He was still Pete Seeger, and he immediately had everyone up on their feet and singing along with him. (Note: Inscribed on his banjo was the phrase, "This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender")

He was amazing. Did I agree with every single thing he ever did in his life? Of course not. But I certainly respected him in the things he did and in most of his involvements. (For one thing, the Hudson River is a lot cleaner because of him.)

Toshi, his wife of nearly 70 years, passed away last year. Many people I know feared that he would soon follow. But, certainly he always seemed like an iron man. "Pete Seeger just may outlive us all," we felt. But, in the end, this amazing, unique man was mortal, just like all of us. It hardly seemed possible, but it was so.

For the last few years, in my present "incarnation", I've gotten back into music, returning to some of my folk roots. The shock and sadness is starting to sink in: Our world has lost a giant. But so has the world.

Pete Seeger has left one helluva legacy.

R.I.P.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."