Originally Posted By: mulberry
My guess is the FBI in Michigan are more concerned with terrorism since the Detroit area has the highest concentration of Muslims. The state police are probably more concerned with out of control black gangs and crime in the Detroit metro area. A bunch of bookies and loansharks are very low on their list.
According to Jerry Capeci, there are only 3 FBI agents assigned to the entire Lucchese Family. How many FBI agents do you think are assigned to the traditional organized crime in the Detroit area? That would explain the lack of indictments. If a bomb went off in DC or NYC or a plane blew up, would you like to explain to Congress why your FBI agents were busy chasing after a bunch of geriatric bookies instead of working on national security threats?

Many others before you have floated that theory. But even if that excuse holds water, and that's debatable, it only works for so long. The feds have the same changing priorities in the Tri-State area, New England, Philadelphia, and Chicago and yet there have still been ongoing mob cases there. Am I really supposed to believe Detroit is so different?

Quote:
Here's a 2011 article on the Detroit Mafia that has been posted here before:
Quote:
As recently as 2006, FBI agents in Detroit arrested more than a dozen individuals under the Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act (RICO) charging them with bookmaking, money laundering and extortion. Though federal authorities did not officially link the case to the mob, sources in local law enforcement confirm that the indictment’s alleged ringleaders, Peter Tocco of Troy and Jack V. Giacalone of West Bloomfield, as well as several of their co-defendants are affiliated with the area’s mafia family.

Detroit Mob

I'd say they're on life support, but not extinct. Once the current crop of leaders dies off or decides to retire, it may go the way of the Buffalo Family.

I'm aware of that article. It was written by Scott Bernstein, author of Motor City Mafia. While Scott has provided some good info on Detroit, he's also posted numerous charts on the forums showing inflated membership. You'll also notice much of that article deals with the past. If he stuck just to more recent history, there wouldn't be much to report. That 2006 bust was the only relatively significant case in recent years and it was basically just a bookmaking bust.

Anyway, as I've said before, while people are justified in still seeing Detroit as one of the remaining families (because of the conflicting info), they're definitely at the bottom and not nearly as big or active as some insist they are.

Originally Posted By: Arm
Your assessment of I L is spot on....but anyway
Some of the most absurd, demostrativly incorrect info on the LCN has come from FBI reports. Some examples I love to use is that they had me as made when I was 19 years old, (I wasnt) Joe Falcone li8stred as a Pittston/Scranton Capo (he was a Buffalo capo and one time acting underboss)and that the Bannono family was so decimated by indictments it no longer existed.
The FBI is good at arresting old men for crimes they comiited in 1960 or crimes they may have commited or may commit under RICO, but their intel on the overall LCN sucks

I can't begin to count the number of times that other internet bullshitters have posted this very thing. "Believe me, not the FBI." Like I said before, you're not even original with your disinformation. And I really don't think you're fooling anyone here. You're just enjoying the attention while it lasts. But I do want to thank you for that signature of your's. Nothing has made me laugh that hard in a while.

Originally Posted By: SC
Louie earned himself a month's vacation from the boards. He had been warned once before about flaming other members. He chose to ignore that warning.

Good riddance for the time being.

Originally Posted By: mulberry
The FBI has been on the money in some cases and way off on others.

The FBI has a great track record, especially since the 1980's. They get most things right, and we're all very dependent on their info, but the bullshitters like to focus on the rare time the feds have gotten something wrong. They're BS doesn't stand up to the facts so their only option is to call the feds into question. We've seen it on these forums over and over and over again.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.