First off, there's a difference between "sauce" and "gravy"... oofa!

Sunday gravy : Bolognese vs Marinara : Meat Sauce

The first two take a lot of time/love, the second two can easily come from a jar.

You can't get "gravy" or a real Bolognese in a jar -- that's an all-day process. But pasta sauce is different -- some are pretty decent, and even better with a loving kiss of some additions. And there's nothing wrong with using a jar as a base, then making it your own.

Hell, jarred sauce at least doesn't taste like the tin can that "fresh tomatoes" come in, off the shelf. Don't sweat it. Using cans of tomatoes doesn't make it (necessarily) taste better. (But if you use cans, which is fine, just add a pinch or two of sugar to counteract the tin can taste)

As for brands themselves, that's a personal preference. I grew up on my mom's doctoring of Progresso -- but I don't think that's around any more, it became something else and I can't think of the name, tho that's good, too. I don't prefer sweeter sauces (like Ragu), but (as a rocker in hiding, and Jerseyite) I do kinda like the Bongiovi brand (Jon Bon Jovi's family)... grin

http://www.bongiovibrand.com/

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations