Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Rocco had become expendable by that point.

Why do you think, or more importantly, what made Rocco expendable at that point?

DC, my simple physics is that Rocco was Clemenza's man, Neri was Michael's--just as Hagen was Sonny's choice for brother, not Michael's; and Vito's choice for consigliere, not Michael's. Michael needed someone to sacrifice himself to eliminate Roth, and he chose Rocco because he needed Neri more.

Others have reasonably asked why Rocco couldn't have arranged for others(s) in his regime to whack Roth--in a plot that might have enabled him or them to get away. And Rocco, alive or dead, would be directly linked to Michael via the FBI chart shown at the Senate hearing. Here I'm speculating that Michael wanted to send an unambiguous message: Michael Corleone never gives a foe a pass, and will exact revenge no matter how well the foe is protected by the authorities (same reason he wanted Pentangeli's suicide). He made that statement by using Rocco, not others. Sure, in real life that would have made plenty of trouble for Michael. But that's Hollywood.

Thats Hollywood all right, but it is also in the realm of plausible deniability as all Michael's misdeeds weent up in smoke at the Senate hearing. Michael NEVER gave the order to have Roth killed. He simply said he wanted Roth's plane met in Miami. When Tom proteseted Michael said Roth had been dying of the same heart attack for 20 years, and then made it clear he DID NOT want to wipe EVERYBODY out, just his enemies. Then he turned to Rocco and only said "Rocco?" Who responded "Difficult but not impossible." Since Rocco wasn't talking after he killed Roth (FBI shout have gone for a leg shot and kept him alive) , the only witnesses to what transpired prior to ROth's death would have been Neri and Tom, so Michael didn't have much about which to worry.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."