Originally Posted By: LuanKuci
eventhough I do agree with most of what carmela wrote I gotta say that Sicily/Italy is not as mob-friendly as it used to be, especially compared to other nations beyond its borders.

Once someone has made his bones at home and he's ready to get serious and wants to make some real money for an long period of time, without fearing the DIA knocking his door down, he's best off flying away.

NOT to America, obviously, but somewhere where there is no real attention/knowledge on the mob yet.

No, it's not as mob-friendly, of course. But a made guy in Sicily is always loyal to Sicily and pledges his allegiance to Palermo. If he goes to the US or elsewhere, his loyalties are always to his home country. One of the reasons Americans don't trust the Sicilians.

And as you know very well, I'm sure, they are born into their families there. Their memories are long and grudges don't die. It's about the money, as well, but first it's about their family and their honor (whatever honor means to them). They are not going to willingly leave, to work for somebody elses family in the US. It's a family first to them, and a job second. If they come here, it's got to be because it has something to do with their blood family or a favor to someone in their family. Not for the money. And if they choose to live here, they will frequently go back to sicily to do business with their family there, and in the meantime try to become at least a resident here. But it's not easy and takes time; especially now after 9-11. When my husband came here in the 90's, all he needed was to have one relative living here legally. It was much easier. Also, marrying an american doesn't cut it anymore. He married me and is still not a citizen; just a perm resident.

People just say, "yeah bring the zips over" Oh yeah sure, bring them over, they're sheep with no mind of their own, who are dying to work for the sinking ship of an american mafia family. rolleyes
People that say this are not familiar with the sicilian mentality over there.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.