Originally Posted By: salvi62
Pizzaboy,

My Mom always talks about hanging out in the Bronx when She was young (Shes from West New Rochelle). Anyway I played this doowop show a few years ago. One of musical directors for one of the groups was from the Arthur Ave. area. He was telling me that the Italian section is down to like one street now, is that true?

Pretty much. I grew up in the heart of that neighborhood (187th and Hoffman), and I'm a geek for demographics, so you're in luck lol.

According to the 2010 census, the 10458 zip code (the Arthur Avenue area) was less than 10 percent Italian American. But the stores and restaurants are still Italian, and I suspect they will be for a long time to come.

Most Italian American families split for the suburbs a long time ago. I still live in the Bronx myself, in Throggs Neck. But this neighborhood looks more like Lower Westchester than the rest of the Bronx. And by that I just mean that it's mostly private houses and the subway doesn't come here (the 6 train ends at Pelham Bay Park).

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.