Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
if the things continue to go so bad in Italy, with young people like me who can not find work and are forced to emigrate rather than starve, there will definitely be a new Italian diaspora from 20 twenty years, and most certainly will go in the United States, and others will also come more zips to reinforce the remaining families. Even if the American consul in Italy, made a lottery where there were to be won 50,000 green cards for the U.S.

I agree with the new diaspora thing because overall knowledge, data and constant research prove that:

Italian emigration is up 11% since 2010.
That means that in 2011-2012 more than 90 thousands people moved elsewhere. It's increasing by the month.

Also note that this numbers don't include those who haven't forwarded their change of residency to the AIRE (Associazione Italiani Residenti Estero/Association of Italian Residents Abroad). It's mandatory. No fees if you don't inform them. So most don't even bother.

But I don't see this diaspora being directed to the US, like in the past, for several reasons.

1 not all Italians moving out of Italy are willing to be involved in Oc.
Those who want to are already doing it. They don't need to wait for a recession to be sent oversea by their bosses.

Plus the US is the worst place to be a wiseguy due to Rico and all.
Canada is much better for instance...

2 Italians don't need to cross the ocean to find a better place to live. We are not in the 1860s and not even in the 1940s.
Back then Europe as a whole was a dump (due to wars, no industrialization, etc..), so the Americas and Australia were the places to go.

Today, their nationality allows them to move/live/work visa-free all around the EU.

Today's America is not worth the hustle. Not by a long shot.
Immigration fees, Lawyer fees, freedom-limitating visas, mindlessly expensive higher education, awful health care system, etc...

They're best off moving to Austria, Holland, Germany, Switzerland and so on.

Their 3 top choices were: Switzerland, Germany and the UK (and by UK Italians mean London).

The only non-European place where I can see an increase of Italian immigrants is Canada, which, unlike the US, does offer better visas, immigration fees are no existent and/or really cheap, etc...

3 the US Diversity Visa Lottery has been around since 1990.
Remember that it's a lottery. Tens of millions of people apply each year.

55,000 are the ones selected at the first round, but then the US Govt. sorts them out by asking to forward an endless amount of paperwork that not all can manage to get.

There are tons of italian forums about this lottery, the best being www.wop98.com.

Last edited by LuanKuci; 11/10/13 03:26 PM.