Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
Originally Posted By: paprincess
All very good points.. One thing none of you guys mentioned... something I believe triggered something in Michael.. something even Sonny mentioned, was the fact McCluskey hit him. I truly think if that night at the hospital McCluskey would have simply told Michael to leave or had him arrested, then Michael would not have suggested/executed the hit on McCluskey and Sollozzo. It was that utter disrespect to both Michael and The Don that helped decide Michael's fate... if he would have done nothing about it.. he would have been treated and looked down on, like Fredo was...
Good call.If Mike hadn't gotten his jaw broken,I think he would have still made the suggestion to Tom and Sonny that Sol needed to go so as to prevent any further attempts on Vito's life. His argument concerning McCluskey's being a crooked cop would still have been accepted,and perhaps a different murder scenario would have been put into motion.
Mike's main argument was that he was the only one who could get close to Sol and Mac because of his known civilian status,but I agree with you that it may well have been a smokescreen so that he could avenge his public humiliation.

The novel is on your side, papri and Lou--it says he felt a "delicious coldness" or some such personal feeling. We've had many discussions in this forum about "business" or "personal," and the majority think it was "personal."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.