Agreed to a point...WE, the public, will NEVER know why things happened the way they did. I don't believe that any of us on this forum are in a position to "critique" why Castellano made the decisions he made. One thing I know that is a certainty: You live by the gun, you die by the gun. He was 76 when he got whacked, so I'd say that he had a "pretty damn good" career for a criminal. 50 plus years in the rackets, not many could say that. He accumulated wealth and did what a lot of bosses do not do...he invested his blood money into legitimate corporations and businesses and set his children, grandchildren and the next 3 generations up so they never had to live by the streets.

Of course he was greedy, like every Mafiosi. Guys don't make it to the top without ambition and greed. As far as hating John Gotti...Castellano was one of many. His biggest mistake? Not whacking him once his brother and Quack Quack got indicted. Due to his upcoming "Commission Case," he didn't want anymore headlines or headaches since he was already facing 100 years in the can. Gotti was about as respected by other bosses and families as Bobby Kennedy was when he was made AG by his brother. Most "street guys" don't make good bosses...It's the guys who see the biggest picture and focus on White Collar rackets as well as staying true to the rules. I will say that I believe Castellano was an ego-maniac, with his Staten Island Home and lavish lifestyle.

Last edited by JCB1977; 11/08/13 01:47 PM.