Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: LittleMan
Very interesting story about Dellacroce's alleged attempt to dethrone Carlo.

I've seen very little written about this. But if true, it would help explain why Neil was overlooked for the top spot, in lieu of one of Carlo's trusted relative.

Yes. It puzzles me that this, regardless if it´s true or not, is something that is not mentioned or discussed in Mafia books for example, to a greater extent. If true, I´m thinking Joe N. Gallo, the consigliere at the time, must have played a great part in convincing the two factions to settle the problem peacefully. Another Gambino member who may have played a similar part is Jimmy "Brown" Failla. He pops up as an acting underboss to Castellano in between Gambino´s deathbed wish and the elevation of Castellano to official boss. (Failla was originally an Armand Rava crew member, just like Dellacroce.)

It could have been disinformation from the FBI or simply a misinterpretation of evidence. The committee didn't reveal its source so we won't know who told it.

I think if Gambino wanted Dellacroce dead then he would have been killed or disappeared. If Gambino ordered someone to tell this Lombardo guy to shoot up the Ravenite, then it seems to me Lombardo would have been protected, not killed for doing what he was told. It is an interesting story though.