Originally Posted By: LittleMan
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

But let's not forget they benefited from their time in ways their successors couldn't, i.e. less scrutiny from law enforcement

You put a Carlo Gambino or Tommy Lucchese as head of a NY family today, or any time in the last few decades, and without those benefits, and they probably don't look as good.

Yep, RICO is the biggest difference. Just sharing in the profits with another family can get you a life sentence, evidenced by the Concrete Club.

If Gambino or Lucchese were alive today, I think they would operate in the background, behind a front boss. Otherwise, they'd probably be in jail. That's the main reason why Chin escaped prosecution for so long, plus he had to wear pajamas in the street.

Yet RICO was never used until the old bosses died, even if it already existed when they were still around, and those who lived long enough like Accardo were never convicted. I don't know, maybe I am saying nonsense, but I really got the impression that it's as if an informal social order was issued: "don't touch these guys!". Look at Gambino's funerals: RICO did already exist, yet all those politicians, policemen and others didn't consider a harm to their reputation to show up there. I don't think that when for example Domenico Cefalu or Steven Crea die, they will be so honored post-mortem. There clearly was a difference between how bosses who made career back to the 60s and 70s were treated by the law enforcement and how the ones in the 80s and 90s were.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."