Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
To me why the Geneveses are still the strongest goes back to after the 1985 commission trial

That's true, Dellacroce. But it goes back a lot further than that.

They've always been the most disciplined and low key. I mean, of the New York families the Westside is the organization that most closely resembled the Chicago Outfit at its peak. And by that I just mean that they always stressed getting into legitimate businesses for cover, joining country clubs, and fraternizing with the upper class.

Frank Costello got a lot of press for being obsessed with blending in with a better class of people, but it wasn't just him. All of the Genovese captains that he made had the same mindset. Here it is three generations later and their families are still spending what I always refer to as generational wealth. You can't say that about a lot of wiseguys. I've known of modern day skippers who left their kids broke wink.

Also, the Westside was the first family to see the benefit of the plea deal. Gotti would kill you for making a deal, the Westside will kill you for [b]NOT making a deal wink.
[/b]
One more thing: They have been a little bit lucky as well. You can't discount that luck and chalk up everything to them being the smartest.
To bad Jimmy IDa Didnt feel that way, the guy wouldve been out by now instead of doing life, the guy must be kicking him self every day over it. But yes hes definatly the exception. Ya it seems the Gambinos still havent gotten into the plea deals, shown most recently with Bobby Glasses, guy gets offered 12 years for a double murder rap, he turns it down so now hes gonna die in prison(most likely).

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort