another drug and gun bust in the same area.

Routine traffic stop on Staten Island leads to stash of guns, drugs, say prosecutors
Print By Frank Donnelly/Staten Island Advance
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM, updated October 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A routine traffic stop Wednesday in Great Kills led to the seizure of a small arsenal of guns and ammo, along with a cache of drugs in the suspect's home, said prosecutors.

Peter Potenza, 51, of Tarlee Place, was pulled over about 3:30 p.m. near the intersection of Dewey and Shafter avenues, after failing to signal a left-hand turn, said police.

Cops saw an open alcohol container in plain view and also found two loaded guns -- a Kel-Tec P-11 9 mm and a North American Arms .22-caliber -- court papers said.

Potenza told officers he had the weapons for protection because he's been robbed, said a law enforcement source.

On searching Potenza's 2010 Hyundai Sonata later at the 122nd Precinct, officers discovered 52 plastic bags of heroin and 21 plastic bags of cocaine, court documents said.

Police obtained a search warrant for the suspect's Great Kills home and found a stash of guns -- nine rifles, two shotguns, a sawed-off shotgun, three imitation pistols and more than 300 rounds of ammunition, said court records.

"I bought them for my house for protection. I didn't have them licensed," the source quoted the suspect as telling cops.

Officers also seized heroin, cocaine, marijuana and dozens of pills, including amphetamines; alprazolam, an anti-anxiety drug; clonazepam, a seizure medicine, and diazepam, the generic name for Valium.

Potenza was charged with felony and misdemeanor counts of weapon- and drug-possession, said a spokesman for District Attorney Daniel Donovan. He's also accused of unlawful ammunition possession, unlawful rifle or shotgun possession, and unlawful imitation pistol possession.

Potenza was arraigned Friday in Stapleton Criminal Court where bail was set at $100,000.